home / pet health + safety / healthy bytes / fetch! blog / fungus among us: petplan pet insurance on dangerous mushrooms and pets
Default image

fungus among us: petplan pet insurance on dangerous mushrooms and pets

  • Dr. Kim
  • Posted by Dr. Kim Smyth on
    Staff Veterinarian and Pet Health Writer of Petplan

Mushrooms come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and grow in the wild all over the United States. While many mushrooms are not toxic, some of them are lethal when ingested, and unfortunately our pets cannot tell the difference.


Mushroom ingestion by dogs is common. In fact, Petplan pet insurance paid out a $2,196 claim last November for Mickey (pictured above), a Pug from Maryland who ingested a wild mushroom and became ill – but thankfully survived.


Some dogs will eat anything vaguely resembling food and therefore eat them on purpose. Others, especially puppies, are curious about them and end up ingesting them almost by accident. I would hazard to guess that mushroom ingestion often happens unbeknownst to owners – you let your pet outdoors to potty and play the day after a rain, and she snacks on the new treats in the backyard. Because a lot of mushrooms are non-toxic, you may never even notice.


The trouble comes in when your pet ingests toxic fungi.  And boy is there trouble.  Again, you may not know that your pet has ingested mushrooms. You just recognize some pretty serious symptoms and know that something is wrong. 


In general, there are three kinds of toxic mushrooms in this country – Muscarinic, Hallucinogenic and Amanita:


Muscarinic: Symptoms of ingestion include salivation, tearing of the eyes, small pupils and a dangerously low heart rate.


Hallucinogenic: These mushrooms cause neurologic symptoms and hallucinations. Your pet may be restless, and hallucinations may develop (such as as biting at imaginary flies).


Amanita: By far, this is the most dangerous kind of mushroom. These mushrooms cause liver failure and bleeding disorders, and are often fatal despite aggressive treatment.


If know your pet has ingested a mushroom, it is better to consider it poisonous until it has been ruled otherwise. In other words, you should consider this an emergency and call your veterinarian to let them know that you are on your way. If vomiting is induced early enough, you can likely avoid all symptoms. If you can find some of the chewed up mushrooms, bring them along for the vet to examine. Remember, though, your vet is a pet expert, not a mushroom expert, so don’t be upset if he or she cannot identify the mushroom right off the bat. The important thing is to deal with your pet’s symptoms first.


Mushrooms may taste great in salads, but they don’t belong in your pet’s diet. Check your yard after rains to get rid of any temptations in the yard and be vigilant on walks to keep your dog from snacking on fungi that sprout up along your path. Your pet’s life may depend on it!

Add a comment here
  • *indicates required field

  • read more »
Email sent Close

Thanks for leaving a comment on this page. It will now be sent to our administrator for approval and should be added to this site shortly.

Posted by Adrean Allan
on October 28 2015 19:37

What every pet owner should know whenit comes to poisoning is this... Activated charcoal pills & betonite clay !!! It may save your pets life in case of any type of poisoning...

on October 10 2015 12:42

A photo(s) of the toxic type(s) would be most helpful.

Posted by Gayle Hart
on October 07 2015 00:51

I lost my best friend in the whole world Molly last November. My special 10-year old golden retriever. I will never get over losing her to a dangerously toxic mushroom after she unbeknownst to be ate one in my yard. Liver failure, blood toxicity and respiratory failure. We went to the very best specialists in our city for aggressive treatment once we noticed symptoms two days later after she supposedly ate it. I am devastated and completely heartbroken. I love me beautiful Molly. There is not one single day that goes by that I don't think about her a million times a day. She lives in my heart. Please take this issue seriously.

Posted by Debbie Diatz
on September 21 2011 14:32

Mickey was very sick from this mushroom. He had eaten some during the summer but he was fine. I think the fall mushrooms are more dangerous but I keep a better eye on him when we are outside so he doesn't eat any mushrooms.

If you want to protect your pet, get a quote!

policies by AGCS Marine Insurance Company, an Allianz company

our bloggers
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
  • Meet the panel
Dr. Jules BensonChief Veterinary Medical Officer of Petplan
vet tip of the week

Visit your vet at least once a year to keep your pet protected from preventable diseases.