Last week, we were so busy talking about National Puppy Day that we didn’t have time to discuss another very important date -- National Poison Prevention Week. National Poison Prevention Week was originally instituted to highlight the dangers of poisoning in humans, but it is also a perfect time to discuss how to protect our pets from accidental poisonings.
Kitchens are rife with potentially toxic things for our pets to ingest, starting with food meant for human consumption. Several foods that we enjoy can be deadly to our furry companions. The most common include:
• Coffee grounds
• Yeast dough
• Macadamia nuts
• Grapes and raisins
• Onions and garlic
• Fatty foods
• Sugar free gums and candies containing xylitol
You may also keep your cleaning products under the cabinet in the kitchen. Be sure these items are kept safely from your pets as they can cause harm from ingestion, skin contact or inhalation.
In the bathroom
Human medications are one of the top reasons veterinarians see pets for accidental poisonings. Many medications we take, like Tylenol or Advil, are deadly to our pets. Be sure to keep any other medications (anti-depressants, diet pills, cold medication and even inhalers for asthma) out of the reach of your pets. Don’t assume that because your pill bottle is childproof that it is also pet-proof. A determined dog can get into just about anything!
In the garage
Potential hazards abound in the garage. Insecticides are commonly used on our pets to control parasites like fleas and ticks and around the house to control ants, spiders, and other creepy crawlies. Be sure to follow the instructions on the flea prevention packaging (many products that are safe for dogs are not safe for cats) and prevent your pets from contacting insecticides you have applied around the house.
Rodenticides are generally grain based to attract rodents, but they can also be tasty for our pets. Rodenticides are as effective at their job in our pets as they are in the rodents themselves, so please keep these items well out of reach of dogs and cats.
Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is sweet tasting to our pets and just a small amount can cause fatal kidney failure. Check your vehicle for leaks, especially if your pets have access to the garage.
Around the house
You would be surprised at the things that pets will ingest. What about a dime looks tasty? Nothing! Yet, I have had to surgically remove one from a cat’s stomach. I have no idea what led to that cat eating that dime, but it did teach me that pets will eat ANYTHING (and exemplifies why having a pet insurance policy from Petplan, which covers accidents like foreign body ingestion, can provide real peace of mind). Mothballs, coins, batteries, and other small items like buttons, hair bands and children’s toys can all be ingested. Some are toxic, while others can cause life threatening intestinal blockages.
Ingestion of tobacco and recreational drugs can cause illness, and ingestion of some species of house plants can be deadly to your pet. Lilies are especially dangerous to cats, so keep this year’s Easter lily well out of reach of kitty.
Unfortunately, even the best laid plans can be foiled by a curious pet, so keep a 24-hour animal poison control hotline number handy, such as the Animal Poison Control Center number (1-888-4ANI-HELP or 1-888-426-4435). And always have the number of your regular veterinarian and emergency veterinarian handy in case of emergency.