Grapes are often a popular and healthy snack for most people, so it only makes sense you would want to share some with your pet. But buyer beware at the produce market: grapes and raisins can send your dog straight to the emergency room with an unexpected vet bill. 

Are grapes dangerous for dogs?

The exact physiology behind why our dogs can’t eat grapes or raisins is still unknown, but here’s what we have come to understand:

  • The toxin that harms dogs is in the flesh of grapes: peeled or seedless grapes still aren‚Äôt safe.
  • Because raisins are a more concentrated form of grape, they can be even more toxic to pets.
  • The effect on dogs varies. Some can eat grapes and be just fine, while others will begin to display symptoms of acute kidney failure instantly.
  • Bottom line: don‚Äôt risk it!

Symptoms of kidney failure include:

  • nausea and vomiting;
  • diarrhea;
  • increased thirst and urination;
  • and lethargy.

If your pup is experiencing any of these symptoms, or you suspect that he’s ingested anything grape-related (yes, that includes wine and grape juice: no vino for Fido!), call your vet immediately. If caught within a few hours, your vet can induce vomiting or feed your dog activated charcoal, which binds to the toxin so that it isn’t absorbed into his bloodstream.

The best way to ensure your dog's safety is to keep grapes and raisins out of their reach. Put groceries away as soon as you get home, sweep up any baking accidents as they occur and warn your guests against slipping grape treats under the table.

Updated Jan 6, 2020

Posted 
Oct 23, 2014
 in 
Pet Health
 category

Get covered with Petplan

An insurer who cares about your pets (nearly!) as much as you do.

Start quote

More from 

Pet Health

 category

View All

Join Our Newsletter and Get the Latest
Posts to Your Inbox

By subscribing you agree to our terms and conditions.
No spam ever. Read our Privacy Policy
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.