Every year, thousands of pets are accidentally poisoned when they ingest something toxic.

The folks at the Pet Poison Helpline put out a top 10 list of the most common emergencies they took calls about last year. Some of them are obvious toxins, but others are not. Take a look at the list below and make a mental note to store these potential hazards out of the reach of your pets.

The list starts with the most common emergencies and goes down the list from there. Golden Retriever and Labrador Retriever owners should pay special attention ‚Äď those two breeds topped the list of the breeds most likely to get into something they shouldn‚Äôt have!

1. Certain ‚Äúpeople foods:‚ÄĚ This category includes chocolate, grapes, raisins and the artificial sweetener xylitol, all of which can be fatal if ingested in large enough quantities.

2. Insecticides, especially those that contain organophosphates: Pay special attention to spot-on flea treatments, because often these are not safe for cats. Be sure to read the directions before you apply a product to your cat.

3. Rodenticides (mouse and rat poison): The same properties that make these toxic for rodents are also poisonous for dogs and cats. They cause internal bleeding, which can be life-threatening, and pets are also subject to what is called ‚Äúrelay toxicity,‚ÄĚ which is poisoning from eating a poisoned mouse or rat.

4. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen: Pets that are given human over-the-counter pain medications are subject to stomach and intestinal ulcers, as well as kidney failure. Never give an NSAID to your pet without first checking with your veterinarian.

5. Household cleaners: Because of their corrosive nature, ingesting these can cause severe illness and death.

It's simple.We have the most comprehensive pet insurance for cats & dogs.

6. Antidepressants, such as Prozac and Paxil: Severe neurologic problems, sedation and tremors can occur with ingestion of these medications.

7. Fertilizers, especially those that contain blood and bone meal: These fertilizers are especially tasty to our pets, but their ingestion can lead to pancreatitis and bowel obstruction.

8. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and cough/cold medications: These can cause liver failure, and the effects can be especially severe in cats.

9. Amphetamines (Adderall, Concerta): These medications used to treat ADD and ADHD can cause neurologic signs like tremors and seizures in pets.

10. Veterinary pain relievers, like Rimadyl, Deramaxx and Previcox: Because these medications are made for dogs, they are often flavored, making them a tasty treat that may be too hard to resist. Overdosing on these medications can cause stomach ulcers and kidney failure.

Our pets don’t mean to jeopardize their health when they accidentally ingest toxins--they just can’t resist. Luckily, the good people at the Pet Poison Helpline are there to assist. One simple call to them starts the ball rolling on finding out exactly what the potential problems are with the particular toxin your pet ingested and how to begin to treat them.

If your pet has gotten into something you think might be harmful, be sure to call the hotline (1-800-213-6680) or your regular veterinarian right away. And always remember to do your part to protect your four-legged family members by making sure potential dangers are well hidden from curious mouths.

Mar 1, 2012
Pet Health

Get covered with Petplan

An insurer who cares about your pets (nearly!) as much as you do.

Start quote

More from 

Pet Health


View All

Join Our Newsletter and Get the Latest
Posts to Your Inbox

By subscribing you agree to our terms and conditions.
No spam ever. Read our Privacy Policy
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.