can dogs eat mango?
Juicy, tropical mangos are a refreshing snack and superfood that contain over 20 different vitamins and minerals! A great source of vitamin A, C and B6, the nutritional powerhouse also brings fiber and folate to your diet.*
But do mangos offer the same health benefits to our pets? Perhaps.
Are mangos safe for dogs to eat?
Parts of the mango are safe for dogs and cats to eat, but that doesn't mean they should be consumed (more on that later).
Other parts of the mango should be avoided completely:
- Avoid feeding the skin of the mango to your pet. It isn’t toxic, but it is difficult for pets to digest and may cause an upset stomach.
- The pit of the mango also presents a few problems. For one, it contains cyanide which is toxic to dogs and cats leading to difficulty in breathing, shock and possibly death. The pit is also a choking hazard and if it does make its way to the stomach, it can cause a blockage (foreign body obstruction) in the stomach or intestines.
That leaves the flesh, which is safe for our pets to eat, but probably not the best choice of foods that are safe for dogs and cats to eat.
Can dogs have mangos?
No matter how you eat it – fresh or dried – mango is high in sugar and fiber. About 46 grams of sugar, according to the USDA. Large quantities of either can be harmful when it comes to your pet.
An unbalanced diet can cause other health conditions, such as dental cavities, vomiting or diarrhea. Mangos seem like a healthy treat given their vitamins and minerals, but in most cases, our pets really shouldn't be sourcing them from mangos.
When it comes to any diet changes, always consult with your veterinarian first – that includes supplements and snacks such as fruit!
To protect your pet, consider pet insurance as soon as possible in case your pet’s curiosity accidentally leads them to devouring the entire mango and they need an unexpected trip to the vet.
It’s also wise to know what pet insurance covers before you choose a policy. Some plans cover multiple incidents of food toxicity or foreign body ingestion to protect your pet’s future needs.