when holiday treats are not so sweet

Posted by Dr. Jules Benson on Dec 21 2010


Cakes, pies, cookies… no wonder Santa goes from house to house during the holidays (although we still don’t know how he fits down those chimneys).

Fatty foods can do more than spoil your pet’s figure during the holidays - they can also lead to unpleasant presents, such as pancreatitis. Another tasty problem this time of the year is chocolate. That’s why having a Petplan pet insurance policy that covers accidents, illnesses, and injuries is crucial – especially at this time of year when we’d all rather be celebrating with our friends, rather than footing their unexpected vet bills.

Get Exclusive Offers & More

Get Exclusive Offers & More

Be the first to hear about pet-specific news, health tips, exclusive offers and more! Unsubscribe at any time.

Our personal favorite treat, chocolate, unfortunately isn’t good for everyone. In fact, chocolate contains caffeine and an ingredient called theobromine, which can be very toxic to your pets.

As a rule of thumb, dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate, but ingestion of any amount (by your pet) can be bad news. If you find that your pet has been sampling some of Wonka’s famous wares, seek veterinary care immediately. Try to approximate how much and what kind of chocolate your pet ate. Symptoms to look for include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance and hyper-excitability.

If someone gives you a gift and your animal shows a suspicious amount of interest in it, ask the gift-giver if it’s perhaps food (another Aunt Doris wrapped fruit-cake perhaps?), then put it on the counter... out of harm’s (and paw’s) way. Then again, if it’s something really tasty, you can always send it to us!

Protect your pet today

Get the most comprehensive pet insurance in one simple plan