The holiday season brings plenty of festivities, food and fun, but it can also be a stressful time for your pets. From parties to visitors, everyone’s routine gets thrown for a loop, but if you heed the following tips, your pets can also enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!
• Before the season starts, consider purchasing a pheromone diffuser or spray. These products work naturally to help your pet feel at ease under any circumstances.
• Set up a safe space for your pet so she has somewhere to retreat when the hustle and bustle gets to be too much. A comfy bed, a favorite toy and a bowl of fresh water will be all she needs for a quick “Calgon® moment.”
• Make sure visitors know the pet do’s and don’ts. It only takes a few days of reinforcing bad behaviors (like jumping and begging) for these to become new habits.
• Table scraps and other holiday goodies can wreak havoc on your pet’s health and induce life-threatening pancreatitis. Keep the turkey and trimmings out of the reach of pets and make sure the trash can has a tight-fitting lid.
• Holiday décor like tinsel, extension cords, poisonous plants and shiny glass balls can be tempting for some curious pets. Decorate mindfully, and consider ornamentation from your pet’s point of view.