Compare Petplan and VPI Pet Insurance below!
Is the company rated 9 or above by pet parents in independent reviews on PetInsuranceReview.com?
- Petplan is consistently rated among the top by pet parents for customer satisfaction. Current Rating: 9.2 out of 10 (2,042 total reviews - May 21, 2014).
- Current Rating: 7.8 out of 10 (2,642 total reviews - May 21, 2014).
Are hereditary and congenital conditions covered as standard on all policies, without additional riders or surcharges?
- Petplan policies include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions as standard with no riders or surcharges.
- All congenital conditions and certain hereditary conditions are excluded with VPI. Limited coverage for specified hereditary conditions is available under the Major Medical Plan after the policy has been in effect for one year.
Are all chronic conditions covered as standard without maximum payout limits?
- Chronic conditions are covered if they are not pre-existing and have not occurred during the waiting period.
- Chronic conditions are covered as standard, but are subject to a benefit allowance and annual payout limit.
Are all alternative and holistic therapies covered as standard?
- Petplan covers all alternative and holistic therapies as standard, provided these treatments are performed by a licensed veterinarian.
- Homeopathic medicines and nutritional supplements are not covered. Some alternative therapies are covered, provided they are performed by a licensed vet and the underlying medical condition is listed in the benefits schedule.
Are prescription medications covered?
- Prescription medications are covered as standard.
- Prescription drugs are covered up to the allowance as determined in the benefit schedule. Prescription foods and holistic medications are not covered.
Does the policy cover my pet's veterinary accident or illness exam fee?
- Vet exam fees are covered by Petplan policies, including exams performed by specialized vets.
- Policies will reimburse expenses for the veterinary exam, up to the allowance as determined in the benefits schedule.
Is the company's underwriter rated?
- Petplan insurance policies are administered by Fetch Insurance Services, LLC (Fetch Insurance Agency, LLC in Michigan), d/b/a Petplan (Petplan Insurance Agency, LLC in California) and issued by XL Specialty Insurance Company, a member of XL Catlin (rated A+ S&P), and AGCS Marine Insurance Company, a member of the Allianz Group, (rated A+ A.M. Best).
- Policies are underwritten by Veterinary Pet Insurance Company (A.M. Best rating: "A", outlook: stable, May, 2011) in California and National Casualty Company (A.M. Best rating: "A+", outlook: negative, May, 2011) in all other states.