BBQ Gone Bad: Traditional summertime treats can be perilous for pets, particularly any foods served on a skewer or stick – as some hungry hounds are quick to swallow the stick along with the morsels of food! One Labrador Retriever learned that lesson the hard way, when she needed surgery to remove an ingested corn dog stick that cost her pet parents more than $8,000!
Fire Away: If you’re planning to light the night with a backyard fire pit or beachside bonfire, take extra precautions to keep furry friends far from the flames. If your dog will be outside with you, keep her on a leash to discourage her from getting too close to glowing embers or better yet, consider putting your pet safely indoors to keep your celebration from going down in flames.
Because they can’t sweat, pets can overheat more quickly than you may think – even those without heavy coats. When temperatures climb, either keep your pet indoors or make sure she has a shady area to relax, along with plenty of fresh water.
Visit your vet at least once a year to keep your pet protected from preventable diseases.