Love is all around! We're spreading our passion for pet health around
with these tips and tactics perfect for every four-legged love in your life.


Love Sick - Valentine's Day is perfect for spending time with those you love; just make sure that time isn't spent in the pet emergency room! Chocolate, ribbons and candles, staples of this special day, can all spell trouble for curious pets. Keep your little Cupids protected by hiding sweet treats and holiday decor away from prying paws, and be sure to supervise pets around any lit candles.

The Tooth Hurts - February is Pet Dental Health Month. According to the American Veterinary Dental Society, 80% of dogs and 70% of cats develop some degree of periodontal disease by age three. Poor dental health can lead to a host of serious health issues down the road such as kidney, liver and heart disease. Schedule an appointment with your vet to review your pet's current dental health and brush up on your technique with some help from Petplan's Dr. Jules Benson and the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Vets for Pets
(January blogs to boost your pet prowess!)

Hips Don't Lie - Like many large purebred dogs, German Shepherds are at risk for hip dysplasia, a painful (and painfully common) congenital condition that affects the hip joints. In this blog post, Dr. Jules Benson responds to a reader who wants to reduce the risks of her puppy developing the disease. Read his advice.

Crossing the State Line - Traveling across state lines with your pet? You better pack his papers! Follow along with Dr. Benson as he discusses the little known laws involving pet health certificates and rabies vaccination records for pets on the go.




New Extends Hours - Hello pet lovers! Petplan is proud to announce we've extended our hours to serve you and your pets better! We are now open until 10:30 pm EST Monday thru Friday, and until 8:30 pm EST Saturday. Plus, for the first time ever, Petplan is open Sunday - 10 am-6 pm EST!

Page Six Pets - Two Petplan-protected pooches are stepping into the spotlight this month when the new reality TV series "Doggie Moms" debuts. Erika Searl, pet parent to three-year-old West Highland Terrier, Cubby, and five-year-old Yorkshire Terrier, Ginger, will be gracing the air with other New York doggie moms and pets, including celebrity Chihuahua, Eli. The series premieres Wednesday, February 16 at 9:30pm EST on NYC Life (Time Warner Channel 25 or Cablevision Channel 22 in New York).

Support Service Dogs - Southeast Nebraska and Midwest pet parents: Don't miss the 2011 I Love My Dog Expo, taking place Saturday, February 26th from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the Lancaster Event Center in Lincoln, Nebraska. SE Nebraska's premier dog lovers event promotes responsible dog ownership and will feature entertainment from country singer Lucas Hoge and canine freestylers from Top Dog. All proceeds from the expo benefit Domesti-PUPS, a nonprofit organization that provides service dogs for persons with disabilities, pet therapy programs, classroom dogs and educational programs. Domesti-PUPS service dogs receive Petplan pet insurance, provided through the Domesti-PUPS Hogan's Heroes Fund!



January Poll Results
How do you plan to make the New Year your pet's healthiest?
Help her shed a few pounds: 42%
Buy her some new toys: 38%
Switch her over to more natural, healthier foods: 20%



Beast of Burden - part vintage, part graffiti, this urban inspired duvet cover is a fashionable way to refurbish a “torn and frayed” old dog bed (or protect a new one from muddy paws!).


Eat Your Heart Out - Candy hearts are sweet treats, but all that sugar poses a risk to pets. Give them a Valentine's Day they will remember all-year-long with this heart-shaped raised feeder, which promotes your love and better digestion!


Bombs Away - Treat dispensing aerial toy lets you launch a snack across the yard for Fido to fetch. This tough, natural rubber “bomb” is great for interacting with your pet during playtime and has a treat dispensing hole for targeting hungry mouths.

If you're happy and you know it - tell your friends! If they get a policy, you get a $25 Amex Card (and there's no limit to how many friends you tell)! >>click here<<




Running Protection - Consider upgrading your pet's protection before the busy spring and summer travel season. Statistics from HomeAgain show that one in three pets go missing during their lifetime, with 90% of them never returning. Getting your pet microchipped is a cost-effective (and painless) way to provide peace of mind and improve the chance your pet returns home from an unexpected escape. Plus, microchipped pets get a 10% discount on Petplan pet insurance!

Cliffs of Rover - If you're planning a romantic seaside escape to see some famous cliffs and coves and want to include your four-legged Valentine, plan ahead. Only one cruise line accepts pets, and on a very limited basis. You'll have better luck with charters and sightseeing companies, who tend to be friendlier to four-pawed pals. Navigate the sea of choices at PetTravel.com.



Dogtor Love - Pets provide us with joy, laughter and a fuzzy body that will always be there to greet us at the end of a bad day. But it turns out they're actually healthy for us, too! According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, "Owning a pet can decrease your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels and feelings of loneliness while increasing your opportunities for exercise, outdoor activities and social interaction."

Prairie State Pet Protection - New Illinois pet parents will be better informed about the health and history of their new family members in 2011 thanks to recent legislation aimed at strengthening the state's Animal Welfare Act. The new laws require more disclosure from pet stores and shelters about the condition of the animals for sale or adoption, including vaccination and health history, information on the breeder and any medical treatment the pet received at the facility.

Live Long and Prosper - Pets are living approximately 35% longer happier and healthier lives now according to Dr. Eytan Kreiner. Thanks to advancements in veterinary medicine and increased information about pet health available to pet parents (including pet insurance), the average pet lifespan has increased from 12 years to 17 years in the past decade.




The HSUS recently released their 2010 rankings of state animal protection laws. A noticeable move up the list was made by Oklahoma, historically one of the top three puppy-producing states in the country. Oklahoma recently introduced new pet-friendly legislation, such as a puppy mill bill and a measure to allow pet trusts. With the cooperation of state governments, The HSUS helped pass 97 new laws and regulations in 2010. See where your state lands in the recent HSUS rankings.

"A Loving Tail"
Tell us how you show your love for your pet for a chance to win your choice of a Kong Wobbler or a Planet Dog Fetch Ball!

January's "Fetch" Contest Winner
"2011 marks an entirely new experience for me as I am a first-time dog owner. Dexter, the abandoned dog I adopted two months ago, is thoroughly enjoying both his new home and his first winter. Every time it snows, he gets so excited that he runs around like a mad man! I do my best to take him out every morning and each evening, too. For an overweight 20-something who is mostly sedentary, my New Year's resolution to provide the best care for my dog has had a beneficial side effect: Dexter isn't the only one getting outside twice a day! I've noticed an increase in energy, focus, and even my own eating habits as I've carefully examined what's best for my dog. I realized that as concerned as I am about Dexter's health and well-being, I need to be just as concerned about mine - for his sake as much as mine. 2011 is a new exciting opportunity for both of us!"
- Sarah Smithhisler - Reynoldsburg, Ohio

The information contained in this website is for illustrative purposes only and coverage under any pet insurance policy is expressly subject to the conditions, restrictions, limitations, exclusions and terms of the policy documentation issued by the insurer. Availability of this program is subject to each state's approval and coverage may vary by state. Pet insurance policies are issued by AGCS Marine Insurance Company and administered by Fetch Insurance Services, LLC (Fetch Insurance Agency, LLC in Michigan), d/b/a Petplan (Petplan Insurance Agency, LLC in California). AGCS Marine Insurance Company, a member of the Allianz Group, is rated A+ by A.M. Best (2010).

join us on facebook     follow us on twiter     contact us  |  unsubscribe