petplan vs. PetFirst comparison
Compare Petplan to PetFirst below!
Is the company rated 9 or above by pet parents in independent reviews on PetInsuranceReview.com?
- Petplan is consistently rated among the top by pet parents for customer satisfaction. Current Rating: 9.2 out of 10 (2,042 total reviews - May 21, 2014).
- Current Rating: 7.8 out of 10 (121 total reviews - May 21, 2014).
Are hereditary and congenital conditions covered as standard on all policies, without additional riders or surcharges?
- Petplan policies include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions as standard with no riders or surcharges.
- Coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions is only available if you purchase an additional Hereditary/Congenital/Chronic conditions rider. Some cancers may be excluded if they are determined to be hereditary conditions.
Are all chronic conditions covered as standard without maximum payout limits?
- Chronic conditions are covered if they are not pre-existing and have not occurred during the waiting period.
- Coverage for chronic conditions is only available if you purchase an additional Hereditary/Congenital/Chronic conditions rider.
Are all alternative and holistic therapies covered as standard?
- Petplan covers all alternative and holistic therapies as standard, provided these treatments are performed by a licensed veterinarian.
- Policies cover alternative therapies, including acupuncture and massage therapy, provided treatment is performed by a licensed alternative therapist.
Are prescription medications covered?
- Prescription medications are covered as standard.
- Prescription medications are covered provided they correspond to the medical condition which has been diagnosed.
Does the policy cover my pet's veterinary accident or illness exam fee?
- Vet exam fees are covered by Petplan policies, including exams performed by specialized vets.
- Policies will reimburse the "usual and customary" costs of a vet exam.
Is the company's underwriter rated?
- Petplan insurance policies are administered by Fetch Insurance Services, LLC (Fetch Insurance Agency, LLC in Michigan), d/b/a Petplan (Petplan Insurance Agency, LLC in California) and issued by XL Specialty Insurance Company, a member of XL Catlin (rated A+ S&P), and AGCS Marine Insurance Company, a member of the Allianz Group, (rated A+ A.M. Best).
- Policies are underwritten by American Alternative Insurance Corporation, a subsidiary of Munich Re (A.M. Best rating: "A+", outlook: stable, May, 2011) and Lloyds of London (A.M. Best rating: "A", outlook: stable, May, 2011).